Family mediators warn of ‘cliff edge’ for families as Mediation Voucher Scheme set to end

National Family Mediation (NFM), the country’s largest provider of mediation services, has expressed concern that the Family Mediation Voucher Scheme is due to end in March, with no extension in place.

The vouchers give separating couples up to £500 for mediation, which they can use to resolve disputes over finances, children and housing.

Despite previously calling for an ongoing commitment to mediation, NFM warns that families and services are facing a “cliff edge” as the deadline approaches.

The scheme was introduced in April 2021 and has supported tens of thousands of separating parents to reach agreements on children, finances and housing, helping them resolve disputes constructively without escalating conflict through the family courts.

In February last year, the government noted that over 37,700 families had been helped by the programme, with early analysis showing that 70% of them had been able to reach a whole or partial agreement as a result of the mediation they were able to access.

However, despite the clear benefits and growing importance of mediation in light of a court system that remains heavily backlogged, there has been no confirmation that the scheme will be extended.

“The voucher scheme plays a crucial role in helping families access mediation at the point they need it most,” said Sarah Hawkins, chief executive of NFM. “Yet there is still no certainty about its future.”

“Families in crisis need reassurance that support will be there when they reach out – and mediation services need clarity to plan and meet rising demand.”

Demand for family mediation continues to increase, NFM said, with over 1,000 parents contacting the organisation in the first week of January 2026. In 2025, over 9,000 individuals accessed NHM’s mediation services.

The organisation noted that continued financial pressure on families, such as the high cost of housing, can cause additional problems. Couples who wish to separate may be forced to continue living together, making mediation even more vital to attempt to reduce conflict and find a constructive way forward.

NFM is urging the government to provide clarity for the future and reassurance for families and mediators.

Hawkins concluded:

“Mediation is a proven, cost-effective way of helping families resolve conflict and stay out of court. Uncertainty around funding risks undermining access to a service that is working.”

Want to have your say? Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read more stories

Join nearly 3,000 other family practitioners - Check back daily for all the latest news, views, insights and best practice and sign up to our e-newsletter to receive our weekly round up every Thursday morning. 

You’ll receive the latest updates, analysis, and best practice straight to your inbox.

Features

Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.